Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The perils of a night out

We used another younger boy babysitter Saturday, for the first time. Like the other one we tried, he is a younger sibling who was offered up when the older sister wasn't available. We gave explicit instructions on bedtime, and that they could finish playing outside, and then come in and start getting ready for bed around 7:45 to be in bed by 8:00. We also asked for him to have Jack clean up his room before bed. Those were the instructions. Here's what really happened: they came in after we left, the babysitter started up The Incredible Hulk, rated PG-13, which we had on DVR, and they watched all of it and went to bed at 9:30, with Jack's room still a mess.

I was so mad!!

First of all, there was blatant disregard of the bedtime. Secondly, and most importantly, we don't have the kids watch PG-13 movies. We have never seen this ourselves, but I can assume it includes things I would not want a 4 and just turned 7 year old watching. UGH! I was mad about it all day on Sunday. It's like he didn't hear a single thing we said, or didn't care, because he wanted to watch a movie. Now, how do I deal with that? Never ask him again? Tell his mom about it when/if she asks me how it went? (She knew my hesitations about using 7th grade boys) What do I do when I call for the sister and she can't, but they offer him instead? I need to deal with it but do not love conflict. Wimpout answer would be not call for either sister or brother again so I don't have to deal with it, but then I lose a good babysitter. Dammit!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! That's a bummer! I think you tell the mom that in the future you plan to stick with the older sister because you feel she is more mature and more responsive to your requests.

    If I were the mom I would definitely use it as a lesson in responsibility and working hard/smart for your money. If he would have done what you asked, you would probably use him again, therefore giving him the opportunity to make some more money.

    Don't wimp out! You paid the boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Liz. I hate conflict as much as the rest of 'em but sometimes you have to take a firm stand in what you believe-or else your kids will be the ones who suffer.
    You have the ability to say things with grace and humor and I am sure that is how you will handle it.
    I'll call you today..I have been crazy busy.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, if that boy was "responsible" enough to be left with your kids, he should be old enough to hear some constructive criticism. Instead of going to the mom, why not talk to him? Tell him that you were disappointed with his behavior. Thank him for his time and "teach" him that he is responsible for his own actions and will no longer be getting paid by you. That gives him a chance to self-correct. Just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel