Thursday, May 6, 2010

A day of highs and lows

Today, I laughed till I cried. You know the kind, where you start and you just can't stop, and then about a half an hour later, you think about it and laugh again? I looooooooovvvvvveeeeeee laughing like that and it sadly doesn't happen often enough. Then, shortly after that, I felt like crying based on a story Jack told me about school. And so goes the life of a parent......

So now that I've built it all up, surely it will never sound as funny to you as it did to me. Luke made a Mother's Day book at preschool, where the teacher asks them a question about their mom, and then fills in whatever answer they got.
First is a picture of my mom:
I'm not sure if I'm in a cage or what's going on there

Here's the questions and his answers are bolded.

My Mom's name is: Mom! . She is 20 years old, has blue eyes, and blonde hair. My mom is 29 feet tall, and weighs 26 lbs.
If my Mom could do anything for Mother's Day, she would: go to Hy-Vee to get treats.
My Mom's favorite food is: Cheetos and watermelon. She makes it 2 times a week. Here is her homemade recipe: She cuts the watermelon and opens the package of Cheetos then we are ready for lunch!
Why did God make mothers? So you will have a mom who is married to watch over me.
How did God make mothers? With magic!
Why did God give you your mother and not some other Mom? Because I needed a mom.
I love you because... you are happy, you are nice, you are the best!
Love, Luke

Honestly, that totally made me laugh. Looks like I need to improve my culinary talents huh? Some lunch I've been making us! But obviously it's helping me keep my rail thin weight of 26 pounds so I'll keep it up.

Then, on the way to soccer, Jack told me about a conversation with a classmate in the bathroom. He said the classmate told him that he hates him, that he is fat, and that he doesn't want to be his friend. My heart just sank. I asked Jack what he said then, and he said, "Nothing! I didn't want to get in trouble!" He claims he didn't do anything to bring it on/irritate this boy or say anything first, so I'm not sure what's up with this. Seriously, first grade and we are dealing with this stuff?? It's just so sad. You try to protect them and teach them to be a good person and the real world rears its ugly head so early.

I found this on my nightstand later that evening:

Aw shucks.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! OK, so I must let you know that I just shed both happy and sad tears right along with you.

    Luke's mother's day book is FANTASTIC! And had I known you were such a chef, I would have expected much more from you. You've been holding out, sista!

    Regarding Jack, my heart literally hurts right now. Kids are SO cruel and that is exactly why I am scared to death about Isabella going to kindergarten. Please tell Jack that we love him so much and that God made him SO special and that he must always remember that,... Even though others may not see it, he is indeed wonderfully made!

    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. That is a picture of you in a cage after CPS finds out all you feed your kids are watermelon and cheetos. HA HA!! I loved it!
    I am so sorry about Jack. That just made my heart so so sad. Give him big hug for me and tell him he is loved by so many. He was so splendidly made by God- it doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel