Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Bucket List

Grandpa's tobacco shed on the farm
If you've seen the movie, The Bucket List, you know what this means already. This was what Morgan Freeman dubbed the list of things to do before you die, and I think the name "The Bucket List" sounds much more appealing than the name "Things to Do Before I Die", so I have finally gathered the thoughts I've had floating around in my head on this topic to post a list. I am sure as time goes on, I will gather more of those floating ideas to anchor them here, but for now, this is what I have.
I LOVE to travel so many of these either are travel, or will require some travel, to accomplish.
Rachel's Bucket List:
  • Travel Route 66

All of it? I don't know--I haven't done the research yet to see what this would take! If I intend to start before retirement, I might have to hit it in tolerable chunks that kids could handle. But the idea of stopping whenever I want, wherever I want, taking in the beautiful countryside, hitting roadside diners and meeting the locals sounds right up my alley.

  • Visit all of the states

This is a shared goal for Rob and I, and we are well on our way there. We have a map with pins stuck into all of the states we have visited together. And by visited, our requirement is that we did not just drive over the far corner of the state on the way somewhere else, but we actually spent some time there to get a feel for the place. AND, we had to both go together, so individually we each have been to more, but together, we are at 24 so far. Hot on our upcoming list of conquests are Washington or Oregon, and we have yet to hit most of the east coast starting with the Virginias and moving up.

  • See the northern lights

We were just watching a special on this the other night which reminded us how neat that would be. Apparently, Anchorage, Alaska is a great viewing spot. Checkmark, Alaska.

  • Dogsled

While in Alaska (see above), we can try this. I read an article in Country Magazine, written by the editor, which inspired me to add this to my list. It sounds like an exhilarating and dizzying experience, and since the older I get, the less risks I am inclined to take, I needed to add something a little more "daring".

  • See the space shuttle launch

The idea of the space shuttle, or frankly, airplanes in general and the crazy reality of that monstrously heavy machine floating in the sky, has always fascinated me, so I would love to see this sometime.

  • Climb a mountain

No folks, nothing like Mt. Everest, but just something that qualifies as a mountain. I think it would be great to challenge myself with something physically, and since I'm not a runner, maybe climbing something would be the way to go.

  • Visit Italy

I am easily inspired by experiences I have, and I think the book, Eat, Pray, Love made me want to visit Italy even more than before. When I will have time, though, after all of the U.S. traveling mentioned above, I am not sure!

That's it for now. Maybe you will consider making a bucket list for yourself to post and dream of!

1 comment:

  1. Always great to read your blog. Really enjoy it. Keep it up!

    Mom Miller

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel