Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Friday night

We had a Groupon for a local roller skating rink, so on Friday we enlisted a babysitter for Josie and took the boys rollerskating.

Here is how I picture one of these type of nights going in my head:

Everyone excitedly enters the roller skating arena in anticipation of a fun new experience as a family. Appreciating the cost involved with getting a babysitter for Josie and food and rollerskating, everyone is respectful and thankful.
Although a bit wobbly on the feet at first, soon everyone catches on and it's not long before we are skating 4 abreast, hand in hand to Xanadu. I show off my long lost backward skating moves to the oohs and aahs of the crowd. Tired yet happy, we walk out of the roller rink arm in arm, remembering why we all love each other so much.

And here's how it goes:
After a long story by a friend about how his family never does anything fun like this, and the only fun he has is when he's at our house or Jack is at his house playing, the boys ask if friend can join us. Wanting to encourage new friendships, we say yes. So long to the family only night out with the boys.
Jack appears to be a baby gazelle just after exiting his mothers womb. He falls at least 756 times on his first spin around. Luke also cannot keep his feet under him. We each take one kid and try to make it around one full time. Although my skills are still good, supporting Jack when he goes down makes me go down too. Ooh the tailbone. However I will not give in to the frustration surrounding me. Jack is not on that same page. Down and down he goes, repeatedly on the same kneecap. Soon the crying starts, both from pain and frustration as friend starts to get the hang of it and leaves our pack. I hate this! and, I'm terrible at this! abound. Luke starts to get the hang of it too, and although he falls often he doesn't get discouraged and keeps trying. Rob makes a few gallant efforts around but is mostly supporting anyone who needs help. I finally give up on the helping and glide around like the superstar I am in my head, encouraged to at least get some exercise out of the night. I am still pretty good, but there are definitely no backward maneuvers, and truth be told, if someone wipes out unexpectedly in front of me, I am not sure what my strategy is. We eat incredibly overpriced and mediocre food, and the night ends up costing double what the Groupon promised it would. Sweaty and red faced, we walk out of the roller rink grabbing people's arms to come with us, remembering why nights don't always go how you think they will, but realizing, it was still fun. Just different than in my head.

The end.





1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I love your blog. Thanks for the laughs! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel