Thursday, March 7, 2013

A few other tidbits

In the spirit of sharing interesting wisdom and tidbits I picked up from the book I just read and mentioned, The Happiness Project, here are a couple other things I jotted down. Some I've heard before, or just make sense, but it's worth reminding myself of. I think what made the book so relatable was the author herself. Although I love people like Dr. Phil, he pretty much already has it all figured out, so when he gives you advice, you might think it's good advice, but advice that he himself never really needs to follow because he's already all buttoned up in those areas. This author, however, is quick to point out her own personal flaws and tendencies, and share what she is working on and in some cases how difficult making the changes can be. I am very attracted to that honesty and ability to show the less than pleasant realities of yourself.

  • One minute rule-never postpone anything that can be taken care of in one minute. This one so applies to me as I lay something down, or leave it on the counter, thinking I'll deal with it  later when I do my monster clean up. If I would just hang it up/put it on the shelf/in the sink/in the hamper now, it would save that big clean up later.

  • Act the way you want to feel. I shared this one with the boys and they have really caught on to it. For example, for some reason, I usually feel tired on Sundays, and would love to take an afternoon nap. However, last Sunday, I asked the boys if they would like to do some Just Dance with me on the Wii, followed up by a bike ride. I explained that I was feeling tired, but that if I acted like I had a lot of energy, I would then feel more energetic.

  • 6 seconds is the minimum hug time needed to promote bonding.

  • People are 47% more likely to feel close to a family member who often expresses affection. This one might be sort of common sense but it's still a good reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel