Friday, September 2, 2011

Hoping for a problem, wishing for Christmas, and Spanish chicken nuggets

Today's post is just going to be a brain vomit of all that's on my mind. How's that treat you?

Yesterday it was so hot they dismissed the kids early. {However football practice still went on as normal. How does it make sense for it to be too hot for kids to sit in a classroom with fans, but it's not too hot to physically exert yourself in the sun?} But, my son does not play football so alas, it's not my problem. So while the temperatures soared to nearly 100, my children danced and frolicked in the family room to "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Why? Because every time we go to the library Luke checks out Christmas CD's regardless of what time of year it is. Meanwhile, I made pretzels dipped in white chocolate. Doesn't that seem Christmassy too? Why? Why are certain foods only associated with Christmas? All coincidence I might add, I was just using up some white chocolate from last Christmas. Anyway, I have to say the talk of rosy cheeks and warming up by the fire got me in the mood for Christmas.

I run through my usual after school questions each day after I pick the boys up, and I asked Luke yesterday what was for lunch, one of my standard questions intended to provoke conversation, and he said, "I think it was that chicken nugget spanish food. Intrigued, I checked the lunch menu, and it was (chinese) orange chicken.

We came home from another weekend away last weekend {last long trip till post baby-yee hah!) to a freezer which had conveniently stopped freezing. Thankfully, the fridge still worked. Until morning, when it didn't work. We lost 3 garbage bags full of food. I hate wasting food almost as much as the music of George Thoroughgood or the sound of silverware dropping off plates and hitting the floor. I has to mentally block the cash register chaching noise of the value of each item as I dropped it in the garbage. Almost full mayonnaise jars, ranch dressing, 47 rarely used but necessary condiments. Coffee creamers and spagetti sauces. Salsas and yogurts, salmon filets, Lean Cuisines. Dump dump dump. It pained me.

The refrigerator repairman couldn't get here until today, so we've been getting by thanks to my $10 garage sale buy extra fridge. I tell everyone that story about how I found it at a garage sale, and not only was it only $10 but that money all went to charity, so it was basically free. It's about 179 years old but it keeps our drinks incredibly cold with all of it's mustard green yellow marvelousness that is the extra fridge. So I got my full gag on and cleaned out the fridge like it's never been cleaned awaiting the repairmen, who came today, and plugged it back in and it was working fine. AWESOME! I just paid him $90 to replug it in and find no problem! Don't you love it when that  happens? So now, we get to let it get back to temperature, put food back in, and hope it doesn't happen again anytime in the relatively near future. Isn't it sad when you are wishing he'd find a problem rather than no problems? Aargh!

Brain dump complete. I feel much better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel