Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Did she really just say that?

It's fair to say that now that I'm just a few days away from entering my third trimester, I'm feeling a bit large. Especially since I started this pregnancy 25 pounds heavier than I started my first, it would probably be unrealistic to think I'd feel smallish this time around.

So I'm saying I'm a little sensitive to it. I'm already feeling a bit whale-ish, so when certain things are said, they tend to rub me the wrong way. And I have to say, this next encounter was a whopper.

A woman who was shopping our garage sale actually asked me,
Her: "So, there's only one in there?"
Me: Blank face. "Yeah."
Her: "Oh, because I had twins, and you are bigger than I was."
Me: "I guess I just get big."

Really? "I guess I just get big?" That was honestly the best thing I could come up with to someone who said something that rude to me? WHY don't we ever think of the great comebacks until later? Like,
You must be really proud! Or,
WOW! That's the rudest thing anyone has said to me so far! Or,
No, I won't take 50 cents for that shirt like I said I would you cheap bastard, it's Gap! Now get the hell outta here! Or,
I could have just punched her in the face. Anything but, "I guess I just get big."

Alright. I got it out of my system now. Deep breath. But honestly? This woman has admittedly been pregnant herself so she should probably know better, right? Maybe coming from a man who doesn't know what it feels like to be pregnant and feel huge, but a woman? Shame on her.

Here's a picture of my twin pregnant looking self right here, you asked for it Allie:

I look awfully constipated here. Wait, I'm pregnant so I might actually be constipated here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you look so beautiful! Remember, some people are naturally stupid and stupid people don't know they are, which is even scarier!!! I can't wait to see you again. You know my pregnant bellies could have rivaled yours!!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl; give'm "hell"! You look good to me; love to see pregnant ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I can't believe she said that. Some people are just rude. I think you look fab! :) --your sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach! Loved catching up with you today! You look AMAZING!!! I wish I could see you glow in person!!! Seriously, I never looked that good preggers! Thanks for satisfying my picture craving!
    As far as that clueless lady, I think my favorite John Wayne quote might apply.
    "Life is hard. Life is even harder when you're stupid."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby Got Back!

    Girl, you lookin' good!

    I swear, the ignorance of some people. I wish I would have been there, you know, so I could have said something like:

    Seriously, two? Damn, we don't stand a chance with stupidity multiplying at that rate!

    or

    Hmmm, shouldn't you be home taking care of your tiny kids?

    or

    Who? (then she says: Who what?) Who asked you, you ignorant cow?

    or maybe even:

    Oh wow! And after twins you decided to have more? How far along are you now? (regardless of what her belly looks like, you know she'll leave feeling self-conscious)

    And see, these are the people that make me sin and pull on my Christian strings.

    At the end of the day, you did the right thing. She's the ignorant one! And you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel