Monday, August 30, 2010

Revelations in a tutu

My small blonde child, Luke, is all boy.

It became clear to me that he fully realized he was a boy, and what being a boy entails, at about 20 months old.

I was not the brainchild behind putting Luke in a tutu. I will have to blame you, Cindy, for that. She casually mentioned that Luke would make such a pretty girl. We happened to be sitting by her daughters dress up clothes. Well, one thing led to another, and we decided just to see what he'd look like. In fact, I will actually blame the husbands, who were out golfing that day, which led to our free time, which led to this. This mama will not take the fall.

First came the wonder:
Realization, shock and horror all hit simultaneously:

And finally, there was the rage and panic:


Now, you have to admit. He would have made a beautiful girl. Just look at those curls!
Yet somehow, this little 20 month old boy just knew that this wasn't right.  Boys don't wear pink tutus.

So, I dunno, maybe this is where it all started. The "I hate anything girl" that so permeates his being. Oddly, his two best playmates are girls, but apparently, this is different. He just won't associate with any girl stuff.

Example #1:
Luke drops his one and only sucker in the doctor's office as soon as he unwraps it. Obviously it must be thrown away. The doctor herself, along with the nurses, scramble to find him another one to pacify the wailing. But, alas. The sucker that is brought has a pink wrapper on it. Game over.

Example #2:
Luke is playing with a deck of cards. He hands me all of the queens. He says, "Here Mom, I don't want the girl cards."

Example #3:
I say excitedly, "Guess what Luke, you are invited to S's party!"
Luke: "Yea!!"
Luke: Gasp, "Oh, no no no! I can't go because she's going to have a girl cake!"

These are the things that make Luke unique. I know this unique personality will serve him well and I hang on to that in moments of panic that he might not "fit in". Because if "fitting in" means he will become the 15 year old I observed this weekend, with 2 karat fake diamond studs in his ears, walking around with a 2 liter of Mountain Dew, asking questions to other kids like "Are you rich? Because I heard you are rich", or "Why do you always wear a red shirt?", all for the benefit of the other boys he was ringleading, I don't want any of it.

Give me my boy who runs outside of that pack anyday. Just don't ask him to wear pink.

Editors note: In case you were wondering, I am using a hillbilly scanner to show older photographs not saved to my computer. This scanner works by taking a photograph, of a photograph, to post to the blog. Don't be jealous, someday you can own a hillbilly scanner too.

3 comments:

  1. Cute post Rach! Yes, Luke would've made a beautiful girl....but shhhhh,don't tell him..it's our little secret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! We love our Lukey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Love it, especially for him who is SO against anything pink or girlie! Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    BTW: You know this is going to be a visual he'll be taking to his therapist as soon as all the "mommy" talks start :-O

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel