Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book review: Lone Survivor

I just finished a book, called Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell:

I found it fascinating. It was the quickest read I've had in a long time, and gives me the desire to read more non-fiction than I usually do. I love reading novels, as well as watching movies, and they often stick with me and make me think for several days. However, six months to a year later, I can hardly remember if I've seen that movie/read that book, let alone tell you much about it.

But a book like this will stick with you. I have endless respect and admiration for our troops. I could not/did not answer that call and I so admire their bravery. This book explains, from the author's perspective (pictured above), what training to be a Navy SEAL is all about. Sure makes you think next time you complain about a sore ankle, or itchy mosquito bites all over, that it really could be worse. MUCH, MUCH worse. And, of course, the story then goes into the mission that cost more SEAL lives than in any mission before.

Even if you wouldn't think you would be interested in a military non-fiction book, I encourage you to read this. Here's a quick summary of the book:

Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell was born in Huntsville, Texas in 1975.


A graduate of BUD/S Class 228, he was the only survivor of the fateful events of June 28, 2005 in Afghanistan. Luttrell and three teammates from SEAL Team TEN were assigned to a reconnaissance mission, operation RED WING, in the Hindu-Kush mountain region of Afghanistan. Their objective was to gather intelligence on Taliban movement in the area. Luttrell’s team was eventually discovered and outnumbered by over 200 Taliban fighters. Petty Officer Luttrell was the only to survive enemy contact. In the rescue mission that ensued, 16 Special Forces personnel, including 8 SEALs, died when their helicopter was shot down by Taliban fighters. It was the largest single-day loss of life in the SEALs’ history.

In 2006, Petty Officer Luttrell was awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism.

His full story is documented in his heroic account of the operation, entitled: Lone Survivor.

Marcus’s twin brother, Morgan Luttrell, is also a SEAL, still on active duty.

Next up:
A Life's Work; On Becoming a Mother


One reviewer says:
"She captures the absolute shock of suddenly finding yourself responsible for another person—with no training, no guidance, and indeed, no one coming from their planet to take them back. A brilliant book—and so funny too."

I'll let you know how it is!

Remember, if you are looking for a suggestion for your next book, or would like to learn more about any books mentioned, just look to the right side of the blog, where you can click on a book title and it will take you to Amazon to read more about it or order a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel