Friday, September 10, 2010

Lazy farm days

We went to the farm this past weekend. This is my grandparents farm that although has a huge hole with their absence, is still a vacation getaway for the rest of us.

The boys love going to the farm.

There are 4 wheeler rides, apples to be picked, rocks to be found, and sand piles to play in. There are smores to be eaten, fresh raspberries to pick, and cold drinks of water from the spring.

Mom with Grandma's two surviving sisters. Clara is on the left and at 99 is sharp as a tack.

Mom beating Grandma's surviviving brother at cribbage. He sure didn't like that. He claims to be the 1989 Wisconsin state cribbage champion. I can neither prove or disprove this claim via internet search. But I'm leanin' towards not...

Sooooo tired..............

They built this with Daddy. It's called Rocktropolis.

Mmmm fresh raspberries


We visited the cemetary where Grandma and Grandpa are buried. I find cemetaries fascinating, especially those containing your ancestors. I leave with so many questions. Why did my great-great-grandparents lose two children so young? And how did they bear that? How did other families bury five of their children, under age 5?

We were sitting by the gravestones, and I told Jack that he could talk to his great grandparents because they could hear him. You should have seen his face—it lit up, and he said, REALLY? They can hear us? And then he just sat there and talked and talked.

"Thank you for the farm. We're having a lot of fun there. We're taking 4 wheeler rides, and finding rocks. We sure are glad you had the farm for us. And thanks for being in the army and protecting us. Goodbye."

And now, days later, Luke and I were sitting at the table, and he was still thinking about what I'd said, so he asked me this string of questions:

"Does your skeleton go to heaven?"
"What about your heart?"
"Are you alive in heaven or all cut up?"
"Can you talk when you're under the ground?"

Whew. Good questions. I'm glad that his little wheels are turning all the time. But hard to answer.

If only it were as easy for me to just open up and sit there by their gravestone and have a wonderful little chat with them. For some reason it's hard for me to open my mouth and speak the feelings and words in my heart and mind, but my heart is full of love, memories, and so much missing of such incredible people. We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a memorable weekend. That was a great vacation for the boys; just being "boys"! That was a rare one with Luke falling asleep on the floor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel