Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Indiana oddities

About three things have struck me as peculiar this past week, so I thought I'd throw them out there, which shall heretofore thenceforth be known as Indiana oddities.

1. At the boys' schools, when there is snow on the ground, there is no need to send in snowpants or boots. They just have indoor recess on those days.
???
When I emailed their teachers to confirm the policy on when I should send in snowpants and snowboots, Luke's teacher said they just stayed in because "the children would get too wet and cold."

What??

2. When you get a driver's license coming in from another state, you have to pass a test. And it's hard. And the last time we moved to Indiana, I failed the test because you can only miss like 2 out of 50. And the questions are either idiotically easy, like "If a blind person is crossing the road, you should....
a. Honk Loudly
b. Swerve to miss them
c. Come to a complete stop in the middle of the road, or
d. wait for them to cross the crosswalk.

I'm not making this up, this was the question. Or, conversely, it is something like this:
If the road is wet and slippery, you should:

a. if you have ABS antilock brakes, you should...
b. if you have conventional brakes, you should....
c. to dismantle the engine block, you should...
and so you get the point here.

what? who knows these things?

Anyway, luckily, and surprisingly, I passed. But my #2 oddity is, you cannot show teeth when you pose for your driver's license picture. You can smile, just without showing your teeth. Which equals my look of painful constipation now on my driver's license. Thanks Indiana BMV.

3. We don't have a local library in my town (it might be on my long term list to try to do something about that, but that's for another day) so I went to the next town over and tried to get a library card tonight. Turns out, in my township (townships are big here), we apparently don't pay taxes for any library, so in order to get a library card, you have to pay $85/year. ??? I was shocked. I just thought it was part of being an American that you could walk into a library and get a library card for free.

And there you have it folks.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel - those are some oddities! I'm m with you on the library card. What's up with that. However as for the drivers license, I was told NOT to smile when I got mine in IA. Weird. I guess they don't want happy drivers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel