Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Help! Part Deux

The worry today is a cough (which is valid because a cough does exist) and a concussion, which is totally irrelevant since he hasn't hit his head. I'm talking the worry is on high alert and he's on the verge of tears several times a day. This layers on top of several instances this past week where he gets teary and says he just doesn't feel like himself.

I can't really figure out why this is going on. I am wondering if the reality of scary out-of-your-control things is sinking in with him lately. Of course, there is the Connecticut school tragedy, which I chose to share with the kids, and recently, the devastating loss of the 9 year old son of my high school friend who I've mentioned from cancer. I'm wondering if these instances are weighing on him and manifesting themselves in this way.

In addition, he has been saying for some time (months maybe) that it's hard to breathe and then, will take a deep mouth open inhale sort of breath. I have shrugged that off as something pyschosomatic, as his brother went through this exact same "it's hard to breathe" issue around this same age. I mentioned it to the doctor when it happened with Jack, and he diagnosed it as something that is common at this age where a kid gets hung up on a certain thing like this, but there is really nothing wrong, and after a bit of time, it will just disappear, which it did with Jack. Because of that, and just because it's Luke and sometimes he is a in left field, I haven't taken it seriously.

But what if? What if there really is something going on and I just ignore it, because, well, it's Luke? Hmmm. I think I am going to make a doctor appointment just to discuss it, and see if there are any easy/non invasive things we could do (a chest x-ray? I don't know) to rule out something real, or to possibly just ease his mind. I really don't know. Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel