Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekend

Although we expected the weather to be nice Saturday, it didn't pan out quite that way so we weren't able to accomplish as much as we'd hoped. We went to evening church, and then Rob and the boys went to see this:
which they all enjoyed, while I went on a "training" mission to do homebound communion for parishioners. Wow, that was quite an experience—much more emotional than I had planned for! There is a section that is for Alzeimers patients, and although I have visited these before as my grandmother suffered from Alzheimers, I cannot say I am comfortable there. It was so difficult to talk to two different women who practically begged us to help them get out of there— what can you say? Having never met any of these people, you don't know their level of lucidity, and I found it difficult to know what to say. Then, another woman worked on a kids wordsearch book the entire time we were there, tapping her pencil in agitation against the book and counting, 5!6!7! without ever really acknowledging us. The woman I was shadowing never seemed flustered and always seemed to know just what to do or say, while I felt that I never knew what to do or say. Wow. I know it will get easier, and need to focus on my intentions of the visit more than doing everything perfectly correct.

Today truly was a beautiful day, and we did get a lot accomplished. Although we've never had this much work to do outdoors at all times, it is enjoyable, and a great way to get some exercise without feeling like you are exercising. We hit all 3 big box home stores over the course of the weekend, so today, Rob put this together:

(I promise Jack is not really riding in that wagon naked as it appears)

which only took him about 3 hours. Thank God I am married to someone who can put things together, as I would rather {insert my favorite fear here} take a career public speaking/encounter a bear/swim with sharks than put anything together. He also worked on other projects like this:
using these stones we keep finding all over the property.

Meanwhile, I spent the whole day working on these:
It is so much fun to see what was planted when you move to a new place
This is a little blueberry bush I bought and planted today

I wish I could have stopped what I was doing to grab my camera in time to take a picture of Luke laying in the dirt of these beds and just lifting handfuls of dirt and pouring it all over himself, but I didn't. He loved playing in the dirt and squishing his toes in the mud, and I loved that we have a place he can finally do that.

2 comments:

  1. Give me land, lots of land..don't fence me in!
    You are living our country dream, girl!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The flower garden really shaped up! How wonderful to be outdoors without seeing cars buzzing by! So great for the everyone; especially for the boys! Love it!

    Mom Miller

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel