Monday, April 19, 2010

Asparagus, revisited

Thursday night, I toiled and tilled under the blazing sun to get my asparagus planted. (Ok, it wasn't that hot...) But, it really is a lot of work digging trenches, I must say! So, I'm all proud of myself for getting my first item planted, and I am telling my neighbor, who is a certified master gardener, about it. Well, as it turns out, due to a stroke of pure gardening genius, I planted it all upside down. Classic. So, I had to pull them all back out, hoping those exposed roots didn't dry out too much in the aforementioned blazing sun all day to still be viable, and replant them Friday night. Talk about livin' and learnin'. This won't be the last of it.

It should not look like this

On Saturday, I planted potatoes and onions, and replanted the oregano I dug up from last year's mini garden. I didn't realize it was a perennial!
*************************
I just finished reading The Lacuna—it was a tough read for me so I would not recommend. It's a Barbara Kingsolver and I gather from my book club group that she tends to write with lots of history and politics so it really wasn't up my alley. However, I finished it because it's almost impossible for me to not finish a book once I've started.
*************************
Sunday we packed up our picnic basket—I made chicken/spinach/artichoke calzones (yum, but a hard sell for kids!) and went to a state park, which is my favorite thing to do with my family to relax and enjoy each other and nature. It was a beautiful day and a great way to refocus and remove yourself from all of the chores and outside work staring you in the eye every day.



I dressed myself today!
*************************
Here's another classic quote from Dave Barry:

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine, medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."

1 comment:

  1. HA! Your asparagus tale is similar to Scott's garlic tale. Not in that he planted it upside down (lol), but apparently he didn't break it up and planted enough to feed an army. So he too had to dig it back up and replant it the right way.

    For some reason I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel