Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The most bizarre night of my life

Sunday night might well have been the most bizarre night of my life.

It began with me waking up for my {3rd?} pee break around 12:45. Which naturally makes sense since I'd been in bed for almost 2 hours already. That happens to all of us, right? When I tried to lay back down, it was just really uncomfortable and then I realized I was having some contractions. Which, might have not been as concerning to me if I hadn't had a doctor's appointment on Friday, where they estimated the baby to be around 9 lb 2 oz, which again is reasonable, since I was just 36 weeks that day, right? YIKES! And that I was already about 2 1/2 cm dilated so between the size and the gargantuan amount of fluid I seem to be carrying, it would probably happen sooner than later. Sooooooo, with all of that in mind... you can see how these contractions were a bit concerning to me. And so, my night began of waking and dozing off wondering if I should start to monitor the timing of those contractions. Because labor with both boys started in the middle of the night, I am expecting the same to happen this time.

Then, around 2:30, the phone rings. I don't know about you, but the phone ringing in the middle of the night is an awful scary sound. So, I hop up (uh huh, I DID hop out of bed believe it or not!) to get the phone and it was a fax tone. While receiving fax phone calls is not unfortunately unusual for us, it is unusual in the middle of the night. So, I doze off again while still wondering if the contractions are going to turn into anything.

Next, Jack gets up to let me know he doesn't feel good, he can't talk, and therefore there is NO way he can go to school because he won't be able to respond if he's called on. Once I talked him off the ledge, I sent him back to bed with a drink of water, a coughdrop and a prayer that he wouldn't be back down so I could get some sleep.

At this point, I was suffering a raging case of sore hips which happens by about 2 a.m., so I decided to move out to the chair to sleep for a while. As an afterthought I brought a notebook and pencil with me, still thinking maybe I should start to record those contractions. However, they came and went, so I dozed off again until about 5:30, when one of our carbon monoxide detectors decided it was time to let us know it had a low battery. The fun of this is that you are never sure where you heard the beep come from, so you have to slink around the house pausing and waiting for the next beep to track down the sound.

Once that was put to death via baseball bat taken care of,  I resumed my peaceful night's sleep until about 6:30 when Rob got up, followed by Jack needing another breathing treatment and reassuring me that he was way too sick to go to school. Oh, and that's also when our cardinal friend starts to throw himself beak first into the windows. You might recall this happening months ago... and now he's back. Which actually turns into an interesting story, which I will share with you in the next post, which leaves me less wanting to shoot him with a BB gun and more fascinated by what he might mean to me.

Stay tuned. I'm going to take a nap now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow You made me tired just reading what had all happened in one night! I can't wait til next post. Is Jack feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah,.. It's all God's way of preparing you for the sleepless nights ahead. He sure does have a sense of humor, now doesn't He?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel