Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review

This month, I read:
There was a lot of hype about this book, so I felt compelled to check it out. While I did enjoy the book, it was not one that I had trouble putting down. It took me quite a while to get into it, and once I got into the second half the draw to read was stronger but still.... a good book but not one of my top 10. I do, however, enjoy a historical type novel, which I felt this was as it was a story around real events in our history.

Next, I read:

This was a quick, Sunday afternoon several hour read. It is written by a "non-author" so it is direct and easy to read. I really enjoyed this book, and especially enjoyed sharing his experiences with my boys. I am a person who tends to see the good intentions of others so I have no doubt that this is based on an experience that truly happened to this family. I am surprised, however, when googling to see how many strong negative responses there were to the book by people doubting the true intentions of their claims. I would recommend this book.

Next, I read:

This was also a quick one day read, all focused around a couple and their relationship. I found it entertaining and easy to relate to some of the situations that all couples face in a longtime relationship. Intriguing, if somewhat predictable.

And finally, I am finishing this one today:

I am almost always a fan of the books Oprah has chosen for her book club, and this one is no exception. I have to admit, it took me two attempts to get into this book. There are a lot of characters and a fairly involved family tree, so just imprinting who was who in my brain so I could get past all the names and focus on the characters did take some energy, but once I got past that, it has been a really enjoyable read. Again, I love reading books that although they are fictional novels, are based on true events in our history. It's nice to both be entertained and learning all at the same time. It was heartbreaking to me to imagine having to go through so many of the injustices these "characters" endured in their lifetime. This novel is based on the authors true family tree, which began in slavery. Very interesting.

Next up:

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you liked Cane River, it's sitting on my nightstand waiting for me to dig in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel