Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Songs I love

As a follow-up to yesterday's post, my friend Liz asked me if I'd ever heard of the People of Wal-Mart e-mails that circulate around every now and then. Then she didn't really say anything else. So I guess she was trying to tell me something. Come to think of it, I might have seen some people lurking around me with a camera. Ye shall not throw stones, right?

So I just wanted to be sure that everyone has listened to the Amy Grant Christmas CD, or is at least considering adding it to their collection.
Song 11, Agnus Dei. Oh my.

This is an incredible song. There are only two songs in my life that will bring me to my knees and make me cry every time I hear them, and this is one of them. And I suggest you listen to it loud to feel the power of it even more. I listened to it three times the other night and cried every time. And, I am not a cryer. At all.

The other song that is powerful beyond words is by Andrea Bocelli. It is also the last song on the disc, #15, Con Te Partiro and it is incredible.

The first time I heard this song was in 2001, in front of the Bellagio in Las Vegas. It was a dreary day in November, just a day or two after my cousin's wedding. Rob and I were walking the streets, and stopped when the fountains began spraying, and this song was playing. We listened to it and when it was over, we just looked at each other and we were both speechless. I can say it was the first time that music has moved me beyond words, it was that beautiful.

This song has taken on added symbolism for me, for tragically, a month later, my cousin was killed in a car accident driving to her honeymoon. Every time I hear this song, it takes me back to that moment and reminds me of her. However, before the song was linked to such a tragic moment the power in the song was unmistakable and I feel would have impacted me forever regardless.

What makes both of these songs similar is that they both build and build to what feels like a climax in the middle of the song, and both of their voices are so strong and powerful it is just so moving. And, as I said, the louder you listen to them, the better.

If you have never been moved by music in such a powerful way, please listen to these songs and let me know if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel