Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hi and Oscars Part I

So, hi there.
We meet again.
It's been a long time. Like 15 months long.
I've had to come to grips with the realities that this blog is mostly for my own memories and my family's memories, and less for others' reading enjoyment. And that's ok. As long as I have my expectations set to the right direction. So, if you are joining me as I tell my stories, thank you so much for that. And please drop me a line to say hi. And otherwise, I will have put pencil to paper lots of things I would have forgotten otherwise, and that's a win in my book.

So, whew! Now that I have that off my chest!

I would love to share an exciting experience I recently had with anyone who wants to hear about it, and also just for posterity's sake since my memory doesn't always serve me as dutifully as I would like.

Around December ish, I received an exciting email, claiming that I had won a MAJOR prize. Think the Christmas Story dad and his leg lamp. My heart starting racing, and I texted my hubby and sister immediately to alert them that I may have won a MAJOR prize, as long as it wasn't a big ol' scam. And isn't that sad in this day and age when someone tells you that you've won a prize and you just can't quite believe it?

The long email, filled with several glaring typos, such as the date you had to RSVP by, as well as the contact person's phone number for gosh sakes, stated that assuming I passed the security checks, etc., that I had won 2 bleacher seats for the Oscars, via a People contest I had entered. It also included meals for myself and my guest all of Oscar Sunday, as well as a "swag" bag. Well, this sort of gift is right up my alley as I am overly enamored with celebrities and had never visited LA. However, in order to claim my prize, I had to send in some personal information, like a copy of my drivers license, and fill out a tax form, which would include my Social Security number.

??!!!

Now, claiming my prize was becoming tricky. Why did they need that stuff? Was this a real company? Was identity theft in my near future? For days, I researched in any way I could think of to try to validate this situation. I googled and made phone calls. I only had a week to accept. And in the end, after doing my due dilligence, I decided it was legit and I took the plunge. Once again my heart was racing as I faxed in the required information. Apparently, a prize valued over $600 (this prize claims to be worth $2,000) requires claiming on your taxes, hence the tax form.

Fast forward, my husband graciously allowed his spot to be taken by my sister who was all OMG like I was about the prospect of seeing all of the stars, we had background checks done and cleared, and we made our flight and hotel reservations (which were not included). We decided that the worst thing that could happen was that we arrived there and it was indeed a scam, (ok, identity theft probably being the WORST thing that could happen), but we'd at least get a good girl's weekend in LA.

About a month before the Oscars, which was Feb 22nd, we were alerted to a Facebook fan page which was a private page for all of the winners. At this point, we decided it was legit, as there were some people on there who had actually won the previous year and again this year, and there were lots more details of how everything would work. Apparently, one can win through a variety of ways, including just entering the lotto system directly through Oscars/The Academy.

So, we jetted off February 20th on a direct flight to LA and our exciting experience began!

Tune in tomorrow for more details and PICTURES!! You won't believe your eyes....... end teaser here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel