Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Perspective

Why is it that it usually takes someone else's tragedy to offer the rest of us perspective?

I had a lot of errands to run this morning, something I usually enjoy but during the summer takes on the extra challenge of small people who enjoy arguing once we enter a store. I was so discouraged and exhausted after three stores that I gave up on the grocery shopping idea which was supposed to happen after the other errands. I was all set to complain at full pitch to Rob about it when he got home until he called to tell me he's just gotten one of the worst phone calls ever.

A coworker of his was calling to tell him his 9 year old son had just passed away so he wouldn't be coming to work for a while. He was struck by a boat while waterskiing and waiting for the boat to pick him up. The mother was in the boat at the time.

Can you even imagine this? This is the worst day these parents will ever have. This is the worst day the man driving that boat will ever have. So now I see that taking two arguing kids with me while I run errands is actually a gift that someone else will never have.

Please keep these parents in your prayers tonight as we thank God for all of our blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a tragedy! And, even to see it happen! How do you deal with this! Prayers are with the family!

    M Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to your reaction. Whenever I hear of tragedy striking a family, I have a really hard time getting it off of my mind- sometimes for days. It does put everything into perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel