Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vacation

We just returned from a long vacation out west. 12 days in fact, the longest vacation I recall ever taking. Almost 3,000 miles! So close in fact that the nerdy exactist in me asked my husband if he'd be ok if we just drove around another 12 miles before pulling in so that my odometer would read a neat 3,000 instead of this:
He wasn't sure if I was kidding or not. To be honest, I wasn't either. I know, it's kind of a sickness. What can I say. I like exact numbers. Add 4 degrees to that thermometer to make it an even hundo and another 12.3 miles and I'm in heaven.

Anyway, we went out to see the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Yellowstone, and Jackson, Wyoming. It was great to see so many historical things and to share it with the kids. I hope they remember. I know Rob and I will.


 Our first official vacation photo in the Badlands
The 6 grandkids on Rob's side of family


Deadwood

Cemetery overlooking Deadwood. One of many times I will truly be clutching my children for dear life as one misstep launches you over a cliff.


I know, right? And we're only through South Dakota so far! On to Wyoming...


Devil's Tower in Wyoming

 The following are all in Yellowstone:


What's that you say, Jack? You want us to pose like those farmers in that picture with a pitchfork? Oh, I'm so there!



Old Faithful

We saw lots of geysers


The house we rented in Wyoming

Buffalo Bill dam in Cody

Not only am I obsessed with my cousins Megan and Lauren, but I am specifically obsessed with their hair! See?


Cody Rodeo


Teton Mountain Range
Dornan's-Lunch with a view

Our "campground cabin" in Jackson, WY (a mere $275/night!)

We loved it; so cute.

Girls only dinner in Jackson. Look at these beauties.

downtown Jackson



That takes the boys to about 19 to 20 states they have been in, and Rob and I are up to 29 (together). Individually, we've each been in 38. We are getting close!

So, back to reality now. 13 loads of laundry later and a day to sit with the bills/paperwork today has me feeling in tiptop shape again. South Dakota and Wyoming, thanks for the memories.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember those geysers. Beautiful, but boy do they stink!

    I can't believe how big Rob's nieces are. CRAZY!

    Glad you guys had a good time.

    But I gotta tell you, after all those driven miles, if you would have asked me to drive around for another 12, I might have made you get out and walk them.

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pictures. I am so glad you are back on the blog. You are so descriptive; love it! Those are no truer words spoken. We had such a great time and so impressed with all the grandkids; we are so proud! Can't wait to hear from you tonight! Dad and Mom M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! It looks like that was an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is a trip I so want to take!!! I am glad you got the chance-thanks for the pictures!!
    BTW you look awesome!!
    XOXO.
    A

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel