Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tastes of fall

Come October or so each year, I get a little like this guy:

Gimme pumpkin!
I want to eat anything and everything seasonal that involves pumpkin. {save for pumpkin pie; I can give or take that}.
Pumpkin spice cappucino from the gas station.
Pumpkin pie blizzard from Dairy Queen.
Pumpkin cheesecake swirly {or whatever fake blizzard-soundalike word other places use} from Culvers
Pumpkin muffie from Panera.
Jack's pumpkin beer. Umm mmm.

You get the drift.
And here at home, I pull out all of the pumpkin-y recipes I can find and fit them all in.
I'll share one of my favorites, and if any of the others sound good, let me know and I will post the recipes for those as well!

Curried Pumpkin Soup (Cooking Light magazine)
**I like making this not only because I love pumpkin and soup, but because it only has a handful of ingredients so it's easy to make as well... and only 12 points for the whole recipe for you WW devotees...
3/4 c chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 c reduced sodium nonfat chicken or vegetable broth
1 15 oz can pumpkin
3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed

In large saucepan, saute onion in oil 2 minutes. Add seasonings, stir to coat. Add broth, pumpkin, and potatoes, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook 8-10 minutes or till potatoes tender.
*Don't double recipe, it's too runny

I have also made Pumpkin Cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting, and Candy Corn Popcorn Balls, and up later this week, Pumpkin fudge. Can you say YUM?

1 comment:

  1. want the pumpkin cupcakes (but I'll call them muffins) w/orange frosting. yummmmm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel