Sunday, October 10, 2010

Conversations

A few conversations of note this week:

Luke:
"Mom, why do you have extra fat here?" (Pinches my belly rolls)

"Well, I just don't always make the best choices, and sometimes I eat too much junk."


"When I’m a parent I’m only going to make healthy choices so I don’t have extra fat. I like this part of your belly right here that doesn’t have extra fat." (Indicates area of my stomach that doesn't have rolls)

"Yeah buddy, I like that part too."
*************************
A conversation at the recycling center with an 84 year old man:
Man:
"You from Chicago?"

Me:
"No, do I look like I should be from Chicago?"

"Well, where do you live?"

"I live in X."

"Oh, well you have to drive all the way to Y for your recycling?"

"Yeah, well, it's no big deal, I'm here running errands anyway."

"Sure, probably chasing boys all day."

"Yes, something like that."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 37."

"Guess how old I am?"

Wait, did I say I was having a conversation with an 84 year old, or a 4 year old? I guess sometimes there isn't much difference....

There is really no correct way to answer this question when someone asks it. Unless it's your sister or your best friend, in which case they wouldn't be asking you because you already know the answer. Of course you always guess younger than what you think.

"Hmm, maybe 76?"

"NOPE! I'm 84!"

"Wow."

This pretty much ends our exchange, except for the 28 or so times after this conversation where he does that dance move thing where if you go left, he goes left, and if you go right, he goes right. This was funny for the first 7 or so times, but when you are carrying a heavy recycling container each time, the humor is short lived.

Aaaah, yes, it's been a long time since I've been hit on.
*************************
Rob and I having a lunch date:

"You look nice today hon, in your little momwear."

If I didn't know that he said this with the truly best intentions I would have socked him, but I know that him telling me that I was wearing my little momwear was in no way intended as an insult, but a compliment.
Note to other mom's: apparently capris with a long sleeved shirt/short sleeved shirt over it is considered momwear.

Please make a note of it.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, your blog always makes me smile. Thanks! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh out loud while reading the "momwear commment"..or I guess you should thank Rob! Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - I laughed so hard at the 84 yr old guy thing. I think he lives by me. One day after Beth's class I was standing in the driveway w/wet hair, no makeup etc and he came up and told me I was very "alluring." WHAT? Someimes you gotta take what you can get i guess :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel