Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Luke!

The little guy turned 5 today. I just can't believe he's five years old!
I remember his birth as a stark contrast to my first birthing experience. As before, I woke up in the middle of the night with the contractions. I paced around for about 1/2 hour, and I remember tapping Rob's head with a pencil to get him with the program since he kept drifting in and out of sleep, saying "I think we need to go to the hospital." I took a shower, and still had the wherewithal to stay calm and take pictures of myself and my big ol' belly before birth. Luckily, Rob's parents were there overnight, as I was scheduled for a 7 am induction the very next day, to ensure Rob would be in town for the delivery since he was traveling. We headed to the hospital around 3:30 a.m., and I remember what a crisp, clear night it was and taking it all in on the way. Once we arrived, I made quick note that I would like an epidural please!!! so as to avoid my last experience. They checked me, said I was already 5 cm, and I could have it now. WOW did that make the whole birthing experience more pleasant. Thank you God! And, this big 9 lb 14 oz guy came out at 6:15 a.m.

Here's what he looked like his last night of being 4:
And here's what 5 looks like eating requested breakfast: Cereal AND waffles:

You can tell he likes being king.

Then we went to the park with his best buddy and Jack:

This tire swing was the favorite


Then, this other family sat down to picnic, and when I saw this bag they had with them, it hurtled me so violently back to the 70's and some distant memory that I had to take a picture. We had SOMETHING with this pattern on it. A toybox, tupperware container, I don't know, but I know this looks like something from my childhood. Mom, I hope despite the picture quality you can tell what it is. Orange and yellow mushrooms. Of course, why wouldn't that be popular?

So this picture is me covering for the fact that I was taking a picture of this lady's family. Look at her in the background. I think she's on to me that I just took a picture of them or their stuff.


Then, we headed to see a juggler and have pizza at the grandparents house of a friend of Jack's. These people are amazing. Each year, they host all 9 of their grandchildren for a WEEK of fun filled activities. They even have a printed out brochure with the daily schedule of events and rules of the house. And this was the night that each one gets to invite a friend, and they have a special guest perform and have pizza and baseball in the yard afterwards.

Jack being jugglers assistant

Finally, this is what a very pooped but happy 5 year old looks like right after catching a bit of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and heading up to bed.


AAHHH, the life of a 5 year old.

Thank you Lukie for being my son. You are sometimes sweet, sometimes sassy, always unpredictable, and definitely one of a kind. You make us laugh sometimes and pull our hair out with frustration at other times, but I am so glad God chose me to be your mommy.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Lukie! I hope your day was as special as you are. Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Luke!
    Thanks for the sweet post Rach. It's all going by waaaay to fast, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Luke!

    I laughed at your cover-up photo. I agree, think she was on to you, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel