Monday, June 21, 2010

This is the longest day EVER!

In the spirit of Jack-ism's, I'd like to declare that this is the longest day ever. No, seriously, it is! In more ways than one! First of all, because, it actually is, which is both awesome and depressing at the same time. Sadly I seem to focus more on the fact that this means each day after will start getting shorter and shorter, leading to the end of summer, RATHER than the fact that it was just a long freakin' day of sunlight.

And, also, it was the longest day ever, because it started at 4:30 a.m. Well, more like every hour on the hour through the night. Luke had his dental surgery at the hospital today, so I woke up just about every hour looking at the clock and making sure I hadn't overslept. This needed to be done NOW, both because he has started to complain that these teeth hurt, and also because in a few short weeks, he'll turn 5, and insurance at that point thinks kids can "handle" these types of things without being put under, so it wouldn't have been covered anymore.

So, the poor fella had 4 baby root canals, 2 fillings, and 6 crowns put on. And let me tell ya, he was not a happy camper when he woke up from that. Thankfully, after a nap in the car on the way home he woke up a new man, though not interested in eating since his teeth hurt. Poor guy! It is so hard to feel that helpless.

If only I could figure out why his teeth went to pot, I'd feel much better. I wish they'd tell me he had a case of soft-teeth-easy-cavititis or some other condition which would instantly exonerate me from any guilt in relation to this but alas, no luck. I wish I would have started using fluoride toothpaste and rinse sooner. I wish I would have been more dilligent on teeth brushings instead of skipping because it was too big of a fight and I was too tired for it. I wish I didn't have to drag him to 4 dentist appointments to confirm this diagnosis, and actually believe that putting crowns on baby teeth was the only solution. But, despite all of this, I am glad to say it's over, he's almost back to himself, and geez, how easy will future appointments be if there's no teeth left to find cavities in? Let's find the happy here, right?

Coming soon to a computer screen near you,  a blog entry on my recent trip to Indiana. I'm just too exhausted now!

2 comments:

  1. HOLY COW! I am so sorry. Geez! I hate that he had to go through all of this. Hopefully he'll start feeling like himself really soon. Please tell him we love him and we're thinking about him all the way from TN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't for a second blame yourself-what Mom hasn't skipped a night or two of toothbrushing/alligator wrestling? I know I have skipped my fair share and more.
    Hope his day is going better than yesterday-and yours too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel