Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow days

I can honestly say I am not sick of the winter yet, despite the most recent wave of 6-10" of snow that's come our way. I am, however, sick of snow days. We've had 7 so far— not the most you've ever heard of I'm sure, but enough to lose the novelty. That's not counting all of the early dismissals and two hour delays. Now, make no mistake— I love my children fiercely and we often have really great days together. However, I think I build up these snow days with too high of expectations. Oh, I think, we'll have such a nice day cozying around a fire (which I can rarely successfully build), baking cookies together (which I rarely have all the ingredients for), and playing games together (which no one can ever agree on which game to play). Visions of gumdrops and lollipops dance through my head, yet somehow the day ends up tasting more like black licorice and brussel sprouts. Mysteriously, that announcement of "School is cancelled!" seems to press the ignitor button for "Great! Let's fight Luke! Nonstop, all day!! Sound fun?" Cuz these boys like to fight. A lot. I'm not talkin' throwing punches fighting, just more like, "Luke, let's do XYZ!" "No, I want to do Q!" "Ok, I'm not playing with you then." Ensue lots of screeching and begging, followed by more screeching.


So, while we do have some fun moments:


Aw c'mon Mom, look how cute we are! See, we can get along sometimes!


Snow fun with the neighbors today

We also have a lot of trying times, ending the day with my feeling frustrated and ineffective, let alone full of questions surrounding what I accomplished today besides trying incredibly hard to maintain the status quo housework wise and not yell too much.

On a sidenote, after Rob got home, from his own and completely different trying day at work, I retreated to the basement to try the highly touted 30 Day Shred video by Jillian Michaels of The Biggest Loser. I can no longer walk upright. My legs have turned to complete jello and have no strength left in them. And I only did the Phase 1 20 minute workout. Following the "easy" chick in the background instead of the more "advanced" chic. Ouch.

Oh wait, my cell phone just chirped, I have a new text, lemme just check it quick.

Oh, I see. A two hour delay tomorrow? Mmm hmm, of course. Perfect.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the dreaded snow days. Between snow days and all the Monday holidays (like tomorrow), I am freaking LOSING it. Isabella only goes to school two days a week. And I need those two days. I mean, seriously! I ♥ my children to the moon and back, but OH MY GOODNESS!

    This coming weekend I teach a scrapbooking class Thursday night, have GNO on Friday night and have a 7 hour crop on Saturday night and can I just tell you... I CANNOT WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel, Rach.I envision those same blissful moments and let me tell you, they rarely happen, and I only have one to entertain!! Most of the time, Hollis is begging to go outside and 99% of the time I respond,"Mama doesn't do snow. Wait till your Daddy gets home."
    Allie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel