Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Recipe of the week

Lest you feel misled, I actually have two recipes to share with you today. I have a huge manila folder full of recipes I've ripped out over the years, and am finding that if I don't try them shortly after ripping them out, they sit and languish in said manila folder for years on end until they no longer even sound good, but for some reason I have this compulsion to save it because I still might try it some day. Hmmm. Frankly, this is really only one of my strange habits. I have a small collection of them. Including the fact that I only like to listen to my radio if it's turned to specific volume levels, mainly even numbers. I don't listen at volume level 9 or 11, 10, 12 or skip to 15.

Which leads me to ask, what are some of your strange habits that you are willing to admit? Drop me a comment so I can feel more normal reading yours!

And also leads me to comment that I have strayed far, far, from the topic I led you to believe I was going to share. A new recipe.

We had a lovely Easter dinner here. I was proud to say I produced a meal I would have been happy to share with a group, though it was only the four of us here on Easter. We had a big ham with a homemade glaze, rosemary mashed potatoes, peas with a Ritz cracker/butter topping, and a fruit salad which was divine.

We also planted the beginning of our garden for the year, potatoes and onions. Folklore contends that these should go in around Good Friday around here. After making this fruit salad again, I am excited to plant some fresh mint that I could use to make this in the summer. It gives the fruit a wonderful light taste without being overwhelming.

Hint of Mint Fruit Salad
(Prep 20 minutes plus chilling)

1 c sugar
1 c water
1 c loosely packed mint sprigs
2 1/2 c chopped apples
2 1/2 c choppe ripe pears
2 c cubed fresh pineapple
2 c sliced fresh strawberries
1 c fresh blueberries
1 c mayonnaise (I would think you could leave this out and it would still taste great, but it's good with it as well)

In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add mint, cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and discard mint. Transfer syrup to a small bowl, refrigerate until chilled.

Just before serving, combine the fruit in a large bowl. Stir mayonnaise into mint syrup until blended, pour over the fruit and toss to coat.
Yield: 12 servings

I will also share another recipe I made tonight which was quite easy and I thought was good.

Crab Crescent Loaf
1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 box cream cheese (I always use light)
1/3 c chopped onion
1 tsp dill weed
1 c chopped imitation crab meat
1 egg yolk beaten
(Optional: I would probably add diced celery or toasted slivered almonds to give it a little crunch)

1. On a greased baking sheet, unroll crescent dough into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, onion and dill until blended. Spread mixture lengthwise over half of the dough to within 1/2 " of edges. Top with crab.
2. Fold dough over filling; pinch seam to seal. Brush the top with egg yolk. Bake at 375 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into slices. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! And thanks for the inspiration ~ I also need to get better about trying at least some of the many recipes I have collected through the years.

    Unfortunately, we don't have the time for me to get into any of my MANY crazy quirks right now,... but that might make for a fun blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, ok, have known you all of your life and never knew about the volume thing-freaky. Ironically, I do not set my alarm clock to an odd number, only an even. Seems friendlier somehow first thing in the morning. That's the only quirk I'll share for now...hee hee. Love, your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel