Thursday, November 21, 2013

Some nights I log on all fired up with some hot topic or opinion I'd like to discuss.

Other nights, the extent of my fiery topic is wanting to know what your favorite thing to do with a pound of ground beef is.

No. Seriously. I want to know, but I fear I will get no responses back. So please, surprise me! Even you reader unbeknownst to me! All the more fun, for as I make your beefy dinner I will say to myself, this yummy dinner is thanks to a mystery reader! It's all very exciting.

So, I will tell you tonight, this is my favorite recipe with a pound of ground beef. This recipe generally looks like a recipe I got out of Country magazine once, until it slipped in the crack between the stove and the counter and was lost forever. Why is that crack there? Is it only to devour recipes and hold crumbs and smudges of food that just can't make their way down to the final graveyard below? So, I reconstructed it from memory and it's basically now the only recipe I know by heart. Oh, biscuits and gravy too, but you will find that in my future post entitled, What's your favorite thing to do with a log of pork sausage?

Li'l Cheddar Meatloaves, which can be renamed if you feel too silly or Missisippian saying "Li'l"

1 egg beaten with fork
1/2 cup milk
1 lb ground beef
sprinkling of parsley
tsp of salt
1 c shredded cheddar
1/2 c oatmeal
small onion chopped finely

Mush it all together and form 8 "li'l" loaves in your greased 9x13 pan. Then, for the topping:

2/3 c ketchup
1 T mustard
1/2 c brown sugar

Mix and spoon over your "li'l" loaves. Then bake at 375 for an hour.

These are very yummy and my whole family likes them!

On another note, Josie got her first haircut this week:



Unlike her brothers, the whole affair went swimmingly and there were no tears. I do love her hair as it is, but it was always in her eyes and the back was a big rats nest which prompted strangers to say things like, "Oh, my daughter's hair always looks like that in the morning too!" to which I'd reply quizzically, "This is how her hair always looks!" All's well that ends well.

And finally, on the topic of strangers. Technically not entirely a stranger, but one of the other moms at indoor soccer, whom I rarely chat with, randomly turned around to me and said, "It looks like he isn't as good at goalie!" as Jack was trying out goalie for the first time during the game. I have to ask, what would prompt a mother to feel compelled to share that opinion with me? I would never dream of saying something like that to someone! Why do redheads need to be so damn fiery? Can you tell yet that fiery is the word of the day? Does the fire come from within and stream into their hair strands? Help me understand!

Enough for now. I need to go off and think of all the good retorts I SHOULD have said back instead of "Yeah, I don't know if this will really be his thing." Great defense Sherlock.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, Josie is sooo cute!

    My easy-peasy ground beef meal is always taco in a bowl. Nothing the least bit exciting about it, but everyone here eats it. I just brown the beef with taco seasoning and mix it into Spanish rice. We top a bowl of this with crumbled tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Black beans and/or avocados are good with it too.

    I love when I see that you have updated your blog, even if I don't always take the time to leave a comment. Hope things are going wonderfully with the Millers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got caught up on your last two posts and still think I came out ahead trading those marshmallow eggs to you! Not sure about ground beef-tacos and spaghetti always come to mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that!! Typical little girl (likes to be primped)

    Love it,

    Mom Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Rachel - I haven't been here for so long. It's great to see some new posts - and as always, you have me in stitches. I got nothing for the ground beef - sorry. But will put in a plug for your tasty little meatloaves :) And your candy post is too funny. True that candy is definitely tied to childhood memories! WE had a candy store on the corner when we were little that had penny candy! Was so awesome, so I certainly at my fair share. My addiction has shifted now to chocolate though so can't say I totally relate. Chocolate is actually good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Josie has gotten so big!! What a doll face. LOVE her hair! And the mother with the rude comment.... Are you kidding me? What a weirdo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are much appreciated!
Rachel